Old November 24th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
WindsorFox[_5_]

Default Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

SMS wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
>
>> Those sites that pull filters apart to see what they look like inside
>> tell you absolutely nothing useful at all.

> You're wrong. Those cut-apart evaluations tell you a couple of things.
>
> 1. They tell you which filters to absolutely avoid due to exceptionally
> poor construction.
>
> 2. They show the amount of filtering area, which can vary widely.
>
> 3. At "http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html" he
> tests the anti-drainback valves for leakage.
>
> For instance he looks at detail in one filter I use, the one for a lot
> of Toyota and Lexus V6 engines, the Toyota 90915 and its after-market
> variants. The Toyota brand filter had the largest filtering area, and
> the anti-drainback valve, while plastic, did not leak. The Toyota filter
> had about 60% more filter area than the Fram, and the Fram
> anti-drainback valve leaked.
>
> He doesn't test the jobber filters used by a lot of oil change
> franchises, which cost them $1-1.50 each. I know someone that owns a
> franchise that does a lot of oil changes, and he keeps Toyota and Honda
> OEM filters for his family, and his good customers.
>
> The Toyota filters sell for $4-5 on sale at the dealer. They'res just no
> reason to use anything but the Toyota OEM filter, it's not worth the risk.
>> 1) Use the correct OEM oil filter sold by your automaker's local dealer.
>> 2) Use a major brand-name oil that displays the API starburst.

> This is true. Of course there are no major brand oils that don't have
> the API Starburst. There are some synthetics that can't meet the API
> requirements, such as some of the Amsoil products that have too much
> ZDDP, and that could damage your catalytic converter over time, though
> of course Amsoil says that this won't happen.

Amsoil meets or surpasses API specs, yes, according to them and one
type is API certified. There is a difference between can not and
refusing to provide some proprietary information.

--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a