Old August 8th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus discthickness variation

dsi1 > wrote:

>It doesn't matter what you call it. The fix is still the same. My guess is =
>that the warping problem is caused by hard braking and the resulting transf=
>er of friction material from the pads to the rotor surface. This occurs on =
>a molecular level and results in the rotor surface acquiring areas of diffe=
>ring friction coefficients. This can cause hot spots on the rotor when brak=
>ing. To that effect, I try not to clamp down too hard on the brakes after c=
>oming to a stop when going down a hill. That's pretty the only thing that c=
>an be done to protect your rotors.

Two things commonly happen:

1. Something goes wrong with your suspension causing a slight shimmy. Maybe
a ball joint is loose, maybe a rod is bent. As you brake, the shimmy
causes the pressure on the rotor to change and soon a "warp" is worn
into the rotor surface.

2. Someone tensions your lug nuts without using a torque wrench. Maybe they
use torque sticks and are sloppy, maybe they do it by hand with a maltese
cross and a hammer. Uneven pressure is placed on the rotor, and the
same uneven wear pattern results. If you're really lucky, your lugs break
off too.

Avoiding these two situations will cause your brake rotors to last much longer.
--scott