View Single Post
Old May 19th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default New Tire Model on iRacing

(Pat Dotson) wrote:

> #2 first - I'm kind of ticked about the delay.

Well, tyre models are notoriously tricky, so I'm not too concerned about the delay.
However I am concerned that both iRacing and a significant chunk of the membership
seem to think this will be some kind of revolution. Hence this "2.0" claptrap,
which is setting themselves up for a fall IMO.

Personally I think iRacing are a very nice, well intentioned, and pretty talented
bunch of complete chancers, and are a little out of their depth as they struggle to
work out why the simming world isn't as hardcore as they hoped or want it to be.
And they are determined to tie themselves in knots trying to find a compromise
which suits everyone.

And suiting everyone is impossible, so they'd better get used to tempting us back
with discounts, because that's far more important than any new tyre model could be.

IMO anyway. But then I am notoriously divided on the whole iRacing project. Love
the cars and tracks, complete and utter sceptic on the whole marketed sport thing.

I rejoined on Saturday in time to watch their servers fall apart under the strain
of their pre-Indy test race. It was pretty impressive, if you like watching sites
grind to a halt. But then I did always say I was a member for the entertainment
rather than the racing, and I'm rarely disappointed.

Anyway, I think DK should announce that he's putting back the tyre model for at
least another season. Do it right rather than on time. They have to tweak each
vehicle it's added to rather than some overall "master model" onto which individual
car specs are overlaid, so I'll be impressed if they manage to get the Nationwide
debugged by the end of this season (they're bound to miss something), and the
announced Skip upgrade will probably get set back much further.

Then again they could both come out tomorrow and be totally and unexpectedly
brilliant. All I know for sure though is that the ImpB Fixed races are on hold, and
they were my favourite way of earning a quick & easy $7 participation bonus. So I
am sulking.

Of course sulking is my natural condition when subscribed, so some things never
change, :-)

Andrew McP
Ads