Old June 23rd 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New Tire Model on iRacing

Penis Boy:
> this pat fruit is one long winded *******

Easy, Penis.
The new tyre model is a joke. They pursuit in the wrong direction.
They will get somewhere like that, ok, but NOT where the simracers want it,
into a REALISTIC driving.
I researched FFB a lot, and right now I am near the end of that
research (with the old tyre model). There are a lot of problems with FFB.
First, the USB line is all dirty and messy, you got to clean it up. Second,
there is latency problem (you adjust that with the "cockpitLookDeadZone" in
the app.ini file). Then it has to have the PERFECT perspective to work right
(of course, different perspective gives different proportions). You adjust
that with the FOV (unfortunatelly iRacing cannot adjsut finer than the whole
degree), and with the "DrivingVanishY" (VERY important) in the app.ini file.
It is hard to expect from the sim community to spend hours to adjust
all this. I am comfident, though, that tools can be developed to help them
with that, and even that FFB program within itself can be adjusted to
accomodate different FOVs (simply, too wide FOV is lateraly compressed, and
longitudionaly stretched, and with too narrow FOV is the opposite, so you
simply adjust FFB parameters to those situations).
Well because of that, iRacing tried to simplify thinghs by just
using the NON-FFB effect of Centering Spring. But this CANNOT be done
realistically. This is why I use the old tyre model (which actually is "THE
REAL" tyre model, all that iRacing added is actually pretty fake, and
reminds me on the simracing before GPL, actually), with "Allow game to
adjust settings" unchecked. So they tried to adjust *their* FFB to that,
i.e. soften those unrealistical effects, to make them more forgiving (this
is what checking the "Allow..." brings to the old tyre model, softening some
effects which were troublesome with thair approach). This new "tyre model"
is just a new step in that, WRONG direction. Now FFB works well with all the
FFB effects on (Damper and Spring), but ONLY with "Allow..." checked. With
"Allow..." unchecked it shows its real character, though. All in all, the
driving experience is much poorer and simplified, compared to the old tyre
model, which deffinitelly is the step in the wrong direction. This way they
(iRacing) can CONTROL the behaviour of the cars on the computers without the
perfect perspective and with other above-mentioned problems, better, and
possibly even please some funs of racing, compiting on a computer, but in
its nature is nothing more than finely tuned ARCADE way of GAMING, this has
nothing to do with the real simulation.
And what direction iRacing is going on? Well, John Henry is a sport
impresario, he wanted to start the new sport, in which he will be the boss.
Well, smart idea, the only thing is that iRacing is going the wrong
direction. They should try to OVERCOME difficulties on their way (i.e.,
develop tools to help simracers adjsut PROPER perspective, and other
hardware), and not to do shortcuts, which puts them along with other arcade
style of competition, and we have plenty of that, now. This ISN'T
*simracing*.

Mario