Old October 28th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

Default Got the ignition coil recall notice ...

LG wrote:
> So far it seems only the 1.8T coils have had the letter sent.
> Check the coil and if it is not one of a certain group of OK coils, replace
> it

Reading through Volkswagen forums on www.vwvortex.com, someone posted
the following URL:
http://www.vwcoils.com
That's a site that Volkswagen created for information about the ignition
coil recall. There's an option on the left that says "Is My Vehicle
Affected?", and for models with the 2.5L engine, it lists the
notification date as March 2010 - August 2010.

For cars that have a potentially significant problem, that seems like a
long wait for a notification letter and fix. VW has said that there is
a shortage of new ignition coils; however, since VW has known about this
problem for quite a while, I'd think they would be more prepared for it.

I'd think that a car company would want to fix serious issues like this
quickly, but 2001-2007 is quite a while - That implies that VW has sold
quite a few cars that might have this ignition coil issue.

I always used to hear that VWs were known for reliability, and I own a
VW myself (a 2009 Rabbit), so it's disappointing to think that they've
had a problem like this for so long.

Eric