Old March 5th 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default "cockpitLookDeadZone" affects Centering Spring

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
I still didn't test all the options, but the more I test the more it
looks like Centering Spring should be 0%, and then you have to adjust
"cockpitLookDeadZone".
So, it looks like it should be -/100/100/0. iRacing's recommendation
is just the opposite, (100)/0/0/100.

It looks like this is a dead end, Centering Spring should be 100%.
Instead, it looks like cockpitLookDeadZone is much higher than I thought,
something like 0.16, or 0.17.

Ok, major breakthrough.
First I roughly determined cockpitLookDeadZone with the Dallara, as
above. Dallara is good for this. For fine-tuning the cockpitLookDeadZone I
used the McLaren, and it turned out that roghly it is 0.176500.
Then I tried the DP car, and realized that Centering Spring is too
high. DP car is good for this, because it is sensible to Centering Spring
setting. I tried it at Laguna Seca, and it turned out that this is excellent
track to test this, because it has tricky entrance to the Corkscrew. Only
with Centering Spring at 50% you can take it safely. With Centering Spring
at 50%, even if car turns wrongly you can correct it.
Well, somebody should put Centering Spring to 50% a long time ago. I
don't know if it works like this because I have in-game sliders at 50% as
well, but I doubt it (I will check this some other day).
Well, this is the major breakthrough, because now I can clearly see
what is happening with FFB, without being messed up by wrong Centering
Spring setting.
This is big thing. I probably can see it so clearly because I set
the other things well, also.