Old January 14th 05, 11:32 PM
Mike Becker

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:27:10 -0500, Mike Romain wrote:

> You are describing back brake shoes out of adjustment. They usually
> need to be hand set up before the automatic adjusters start working.
> The automatic adjusters adjust when you hit the brakes in reverse after
> hitting them in the forward direction to cock it.

Just to add to this - when I replaced my shoes I didn't replace the
auto-adjuster springs. For several months after I would hand adjust them
out every few weeks only to have the brake pedal start sinking again and a
knocking sound produced from the drums.

I found some auto-adjuster rebuild kits at Napa (includes new springs and
adjuster bolt) and put them on, and they've been working great ever since.
If you still have a problem with them after you do what Mike suggested and
you don't mind getting back into the drums, you might give those kits a
shot. The springs get pretty tired over time.

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;