Old November 10th 04, 05:57 PM
Iain Miller

"News" > wrote in message
> It has done 104000miles, and it is a 1.8. The cambelt was done at 85,000

As long as the tensioners were replaced as well then the cambelt should be
good to go.

The only other thing then to be looking at specific to A4s is therefore the
front bearing arms - there are 4 on each side - 2 upper & 2 lower. There is
currently a recall out on front lower bearing arms so you should get those
checked because they do wear out quicker than they should. I have a 96 A4
Avant & I had to have two upper arms and a front lower arm replaced last
year (at 78K miles) the upper arms are not covered by the recall.

Look at the service logs & see how regularly it has had its oil changed. If
there are signs that its been done infrequently then I'd be wary. Listen for
noise from the Cam chain at the back of the head - you'll tend to get a bit
of a rattle on start up but that should be it. If its persistently
noisy/rattling then its a long job to replace the tensioner.

The only other things I can think of are that the Catalytic convertor may
not have long to live if its the original - I just had to replace mine at
82K miles. Audi part £270+ VAT, GSF part £175 - noisier than the Audi part
but it works. The rest of the exhaust is pretty bombproof. Check the AC
works if it has it - its expensive to put right if it doesn't.

Other than that you are into the same stuff you would be on any 104K car -
i..e condition of disks & pads etc. Listen for odd noises from the engine,
gearbox, suspension, steering & brakes. Check the bodywork is straight and
get it HPI checked.

HTH
I.