Old February 24th 18, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
RJH

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 24/02/2018 15:01, alan_m wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 13:51, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Â*Â*Â* alan_m > wrote:

>>> Exactly in the same way as we do now. Do you really believe French,
>>> Dutch and Spanish farmers etc. are not going sell us their tasteless
>>> fruit and vegetables. Do you think we will be unable to buy gas from
>>> Russia or washing machines from Turkey or TVs from Korea when we leave
>>> the EU?Â* Do you think that all that food you currently see in every
>>> supermarket from 101 different countries outside the EU is suddenly
>>> going to rot waiting for months in a customs sheds?

>> Ah - right. Of course we will be able to buy things from anywhere and
>> with
>> some food cheaper than the EU.
>>
>> What you haven't answered is just how we pay for these imports. Which is
>> the $64k question.
>>
>> At the moment the majority of the UK's income is from financial etc
>> services. Not selling Jaguars or whatever. Many such financial operations
>> base themselves here because of access to the EU. And are high wage
>> operations. With many nationalities working in them.Â* Several very
>> attractive places to live in Europe would just love to have them
>> re-locate
>> there.
>>

> Do you mean the same financial services the cost of which to bail them
> out will be paid for by your children's children?
> Do you mean the same financial services that illegally fiddled the rates
> so that mortgages in the UK were more expensive?
> Do you mean the same financial services that have been fined billions by
> the US, UK and European regulators?
> Do you mean the same financial services that are so well run that a lack
> of due diligence has resulted in foreign bank/investment acquisitions
> making massive losses?
> Do you mean that the same financial services that caused many viable
> small UK companies to go to the wall so that they could be asset stripped?
> Do you mean the same financial services that constructed worthless
> investments that no insider trader would touch with a barge pole?
> Do you mean that same financial services that have written off billions
> for mis-selling PPI?
> Do you mean the same financial services where loyalty to them is
> rewarded with high charges than for disloyal or new customers?
>
> Again not as simple as in or out of the EU......

I think it more or less is - they'll still be getting up to that
shenanigans wherever they are.

> Many of these companies are more likely to go to new York or the far
> East rather than migrating to the rest of Europe.
>
> The credibility of financial services in the Euro zone may take a big
> hit if a few basket case EU countries start defaulting on their loans. A
> lot of Euro zone financial problems have be swept under the carpet to
> resurface in a few year's time.
>
> In a few years time, or perhaps even today, with modern technology it
> will not matter where in the world you sit to run a financial service.

Were it not for the fact that location is a source of inward investment
and of course jobs. While the UK financial services sector doesn't do
much in terms of productivity it directly employs about 10% of the
workforce - at least. That 10% is linked to jobs across sectors. Whether
I like the sector or not, that still has to be factored in.
--
Cheers, Rob