Old June 28th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default 2001 GC - fan clutch replaced

"Will Honea" > wrote in message

> The clutch is a fluid type. Basically, the little coil on the outside is
> temperature sensor that controls the flow of the oil inside so that the
> hotter the sensor gets the less oil is allowed to bypass which puts more
> turning the fan. If you watch as the engine is turned off, you should see
> the fan continue to rotate for a few seconds.
>
> The fan is mounted by 4 small nuts on studs. PITA to get to, hard as heck
> to keep the whole thing from rotating as you try to loosen them but ANY
> side-play or wobble is reason to change. I've seen a few where the owner
> ignored a loose one only to have the fan eat the radiator...
>
> Depending on the exact vehicle, you may get it on/off with the shroud in
> place but to me it takes less time to just remove it to change the clutch.
>
> --

I saw the 4 bolts - and that's what prompted me to ask - how the heck do you
get in there
Ours looks like a round heat sink, with the small fins all the way around.
Our local dealer now charges $126/hr -
so.... it was well worth it to me to have them change it out -

With the 100 degree weather here in Chicago - all cars have been to the
doctor....
our 2001 Jeep - new battery and new fan clutch
kid's 2004 Impala - new windshied today - had a large crack
wife's 2001 car - new radiator - top filler hose area actually cracked off