Old October 26th 05, 03:17 PM
Steve Mackie

Default Does vortec engine mean good?

> That's what I thought. However, I have seen a very similar name on
> other brands now (something like Vtech). Is GM licensing the technology
> to others or is that just someone else using a similar name for similar
> technology.

VTEC, if that is what you are refering to, is a whole other ball of wax.
VTEC is purely a Honda trademark name, but does mean something; Variable
valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. The actual non-trademark acronym
would be VVT; Variable Valve Timing. Learn all about the differecnt types
and associated trade names he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT

> I am under the impression that this is GM's method to ensure lots of
> turbulence in the combustion chamber. Is this right?

I doubt it's nothing more than a trade name, period. Like the way GM says
"Ecotech" or Ford says "PowerStroke" or the way Chrysler now uses the term
"Hemi." Doesn't really say anything about the engine, it's just a name.
(Before this causes a ruckus, look it up. They are no longer true "hemi's".
They are as much of a Hemi as my '95 GM 3.4L DOHC is.)

Steve