Old August 2nd 05, 01:07 PM
djtep

Hi Paul.

I've just recently placed my car in to fix this problem.

I own a 1993 BMW 318i E36.

I had to replace:

· Camshaft

· Rockers

· Tappets

The job cost me $1800 including labour!

I, as the owner, was most likely the cause i.e. infrequent oil changes. My
mechanic (who I do trust, and has done very good maintenance on this car)
advises that on BMW cars, every 6 months, or 10000 kilometers, whichever
somes first, is the interval for oil changes. Also, the spraybar must be
cleaned at every oil change. In the BMW, there is a tendency for the holes
in the spraybar to clog up; thus causing the expensive problem that I had.

I envy you if you can get this repair on warranty.

I had exactly the same symptoms as you.

I used to leave the air-conditioner on high and the windows up to drown out
the noise. Of course, it started to anny me when drivers passing by would
start laughing at me and the car ;-(

Kind Regards,

--
Jason Tepoorten
@HOME

8MP
Australia

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
> Paul Aspinall wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply to this one.
> >
> > I'm going to push the dealer to fix it. I'll also report it to BMW

warranty
> > also.
> >
> > How much do you think this would normally cost to fix, if I had to pay

for