Old January 12th 12, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
FolkGT

Default How to balance FFB

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:25:41 +0100, "Mario Petrinovic"
> wrote:

>FolkGT:
>>Tony R:
>>>FolkGT:
>>>
>>>50% is indeed linear, above this is exponential and below logarithmic.
>>>
>>>I seem to recall earlier profilers actually displayed the graph of how
>>>the controller profile was being mapped. Non linear can help with brake
>>>pedal mappings (iRacing include this option in sim) linear seems pretty
>>>good for steering though. 100% is making it much more sensitive around
>>>the centre, could be why it feels like it is removing any deadzone though.

>> That is my understanding. A value of 50% for steering sensitivity =
>> linear response. Reducing the value would cure steering that is too
>> twitchy around the center, and increasing it would do the opposite.

> Well, I just tested it. With Ford Falcon it is very easy to see what
>is going on. BTW, if you click with right mouse button on slider, you'll get
>"What's this" box. Clicking on it, you'll get explaination of what this
>slider does.
> It is very simple, with 100% you get direct contact with FFB,
>anything less loses contact with FFB, and introduces slack, which behaves
>very much like a dead zone, only it isn't dead zone, but just a lack of
>sensitivity.
> 50% isn't linear, 100% is linear, anything else is less linear.

Then you have to ask yourself... why did Logitech make the default 50%?

Two people have told you that 50% = linear. A Google search would turn up
the same answer. You can go with that, or ignore the facts and just
muddle about on your own.

You should certainly consider the possibility that you've jacked some
other setting up so much that what you're "feeling" with the slider at
something other than 50% is just a compensation.