Old November 20th 04, 05:03 PM
fbloogyudsr

"bfd" > wrote
> "JRC702" > wrote
>> What is the point of putting a performance intake on a M30 motor? You
>> will
>> still have only have 2 valves per cylinder, that weak camshaft and valve
>> train
>> and too many other issues to list to ever allow this motor to be able to
>> get
>> out of it's own way.
>> If you want any performance, you need to start with at least an M50
>> motor.
>> This is a 6 cylinder car that still has an ingition cap & rotor. Your
>> options
>> are severely limited.

> An M50? You're kidding right? That engine has only a 2.5 liter! The M30
> with its 3.5 liter (ah, that's 1000cc bigger) puts out more horses ( 208
> hp stock vs. M50 189hp - both US versions) and more importantly, more
> torque (225 ft-lb stock vs. M50 184 ft-lb).
>
> However, I will agree that adding performance parts, outside maybe a chip,
> will probably not make your car that much faster. If you really want more,
> save your money and get an M5....

JRC702 obviously doesn't know what an M30 is...

Having rebuilt an old 3L M30, I know that a mildly ported head and
stainless steel headers will give you an easy 30 hp and some torque.
It's quite possible that an intake manifold will add another 20 or so.
A total of 50hp (easily doable with those options IMO) is much more
than you will ever get from an M50 (and I have an M50B25 in my '91 E34
so I know what I'm talking about, here.)

FloydR