Old May 7th 05, 06:16 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:40:46 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"Lorem Ipsum" > wrote in message
>> I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but it reminds me of news
>> articles many years ago where people were killed inflating or installing
>> truck tires on "split rims". The rim or something exploded. What was that
>> all about?
>>

>split rims are as the name implies, split...usually two pieces but sometimes
>three..(center section and outter "beadlocks"...)....they are used on heavy
>equipment....very dangerous to the tire installer(can fly apart and severly
>injure or kill the person inflating/assembling them)....do a google search
>and you will have more than you ever cared to know, i'm sure...

They are usually dangerous only when damaged or incorrectly installed.
I know anecdotal evidence isn't statistically valid, but we've never
had any issues with the tires and split rims on our 1965 Ford F-700
dump truck. For what that is worth (which ain't much!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)