Old September 3rd 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Sean[_1_]

Default Report: UAW hopeful it can unionize VW's Chattanooga plant

On 2011-07-08, > wrote:
> The United Auto Workers has been trying for the past 30 years to unionize plants operated by foreign automakers in the South, but to date, there has been absolutely zero success. There are many reasons the UAW has consistently failed over time, including allegations of intimidation and fear tactics from transplant management. Some foreign automakers won't even hire former union employees for fear that the new hire could help organize the facility. And then there is the fact that unions aren't ne...

Hmmm... If workers for a particular place want to unionize of their own accord then fine. That should be their right. But I object to a union coming to an employer in a deliberate attempt to expand their footprint just for their own sake. Any union that starts acting more in the interest of self-preservation than the benefit of its members has become just as corrupt as the corporations it was created to keep in check.

In addition to believing that any worker should be allowed to join a union without penalty, no one should be forced to join a union in order to get a particular job. There's nothing inherently wrong with a mixed shop despite what unions would have you believe.

....Sean.