Old July 6th 17, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On 7/6/2017 9:26 AM, Chaya Eve wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:13:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Does not sound normal to me. Could be the toe-in is not adjusted
>> properly. How many miles on the car? Every checked the alignment?

> If it were only the tires tilted inward at the front (toe) the whole tread
> would be "feathered" would it not? This only has the outside edge of both
> front tires feathered. So it can't be "just" toe.
>
> I don't see how the miles matter but it has about 60K miles. Miles would
> have nothing to do with this other than suspension wear but nobody is
> suggesting suspension wear based on the evidence (for example, no cupping).

Miles is an indicator of potential problems. If you said it had 4,000
miles I'd think the alignment and front end are good unless you hit a
big pot hole. At 60,000 miles things wear, get banged around.
Different things should be checked.

> The alignment was last done about two years ago.
> The tires are about a year old.

Bingo!. Probably too much toe in. Have it checked and rotate the tires
so they don't get much worse on the front.

> My take on this is that it's either "normal" for a car that is driven by
> necessity (slowly) on twisty steep (10%) mountain roads for 10 miles (5
> each way) every day, or there is something wrong.
>
> It's not going to be a single thing since the entire width of the tread is
> not feathered (only the outside edges) and since it's both front tires,
> it's not obvious that it's something worn or out of alignment.

Obvious to me that something is not right. Certainly not normal.