Old December 22nd 12, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

Default CVT Transmissions. Pros And Cons ?

On Dec 20, 10:51*pm, Robert11 > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have always had cars with automatic transmissions.
>
> If I remember right, only some of,the Nissan's had a CVT type in the "past".
>
> Now, two cars that I am considering apparently have CVT type.
> An Accord and the Subaru Outback.
>
> Know nothing re CVT transmissions.
>
> Might someone please outline for me the pros and cons of a CVT vs the regular kind of transmission.
>
> e.g, reliability, smoothness in shifting, etc.
> Why don't all cars of this size use fhem ?

because I-4s with exhaust system that did not receive any love from
egineering
typically sounds like something your dentist uses all the time ->
few folks are looking to the constant 2-3k rpm drone of ****ty
sounding engine.

might've been better with a V-6 and even better with a V-8 but cvts
had problem
handling extra power a few years back