Old October 28th 05, 08:22 PM
Bret Ludwig

Default Though Jeep, Libty is 100% girl car

nunya wrote:
> I owned a 1979 (from 79-86) rabbit diesel in upstate ny (syracuse area) and
> had no problem buying diesel... 40 mpg, the only problem I had is that I had
> to plan my lane changes about a hour ahead... it was s.l.o.w. also, because
> of the climate from oct-april, we used an umbilical cord to keep the block
> warm, and an additional fuel filter heater to prevent gelling. (i never
> liked that power service stuff, thought it lowered the cetane, or would make
> the heads into fiddle faddle)

Power Service actually improves cetane and is a necessity when using
#2 Diesel in Midwest or worse winters. #1 Diesel is the fix, but
stations are loath to sell it because CAV and Roosamaster pumps
occasionally choke on it unless lube oil is added.

In the Arctic they sell "Arctic Diesel" which is good for all diesels
and also is approved for use in P&W PT-6 and Garrett 331 turbines by
FAA edict. They also burn it in heaters for garages, etc. It's
basically JP-8 in other words. Of course it costs more. They have to
add expensive lube oil.

The FTYC should have prohibited diesel pumps to be sold that wouldn't
handle straight K-1 Kerosene. We would have a lot less trouble but of
course the redneck element believes business should be allowed to do
whatever it wants and whenever and wheerever.