Old April 7th 11, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Default What I want vs. what the reality could support

On 2011-04-06 06:28:04 -0400, AD > said:

> On Feb 12, 1:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>> * *dizzy > wrote:
>>
>>> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
>>> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
>>> the heaters have poor output.

>> You fit a diesel burning cabin heater - which also means it can be on a
>> timer so the car is warm first thing.
>>

> Maybe for some users the novelty of tinkering with the menus through a
> knob is a sell,
> but I;m sick of computers at work. But, then it could be that MMI and
> iDrive came a long way since 2003
> A6 where I saw webasto configuration in action.
>
> A default of now plus 24 hours minus 15 minutes on webasto seems
> completely arbitrary to me.
> After I saw the system in action I thought to myself "thanks, but no
> thanks".
>
> I'd leave diesels+webasto to drivers with patience.
>
> Still, there are a ton of sunbelt states where 25/75 diesel/petrol mix
> just does not make sense.
> On the other hand there is nothing, aside from cost, preventing brain
> challenged customers in snowbelt from buying a diesel.
>
> Hence to sell diesels only on top of the line models in the states
> makes a lot of sense.
> 335d -> sunbelt car
> 325xi -> snowbelt
>
> I have visions of next vevrsion of iDrive greeting a user of 335d with
> "you are an idiot" message on the dash
> once 0F and lower outside temp is detected.

Horse caca. The 335D has got plenty of ooomph with tons of torque.
Put four good snow tires on it and it will survive very nicely in the
snowbelt states. With mileage in the high 30s (I believe BMW quotes
37mpg), you have a good looking, sporty car, *and* economy.

I drove the new Audi A8L, A7, and the Porsche Panamera 4s today. Very
impressed with all three of them. Decisions, decisions.

Dave (Istand)
RS6