Old December 5th 12, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

Default Not winning - valve geometry

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:13:53 PM UTC-7, ChrisKlinger wrote:
> Hi group.
>

> Finally got my heads yesterday. Today, I'm set to get my car running
>
> again... but wait! Could there be _more_ surprises? But of course!
>

> Pushrods are too short. From the look of the adjusters, geometry was never
>
> right. In fact, I notice that the rocker arms are free to slide back and
>
> forth about 1mm on the fancy hich-tech solid rocker shaft. In retrospect, I
>
> can now see why it destroyed a valve guide (though a kindlier engine would
>
> have kept it in the port, and not sent a piece into the cylinder
>

> Anyhow, Monday I'll order new adjusters, a set of cut-'em-yourself
>
> pushrods, and shaft spacers/shims.
>

> Anybody ever buy from http://www.chircoestore.com ?
>

> Also, opinions on swivel-foot adjusters vs. standard are appreciated.
>

> And, no, I don't know what cam lift is, nor do I know what the rocker ratio
>
> is. Pulled the oil pump hoping to see something, but there's no marking.
>
> bolt-on gear, though.
>

> Ya gotta love getting stuck with someone's half-baked crap.
>

> Chris

The 911 type adjustors are expensive but last essentially forever. I am still using the set I got from GBE in 1999. They also help make valve lash much more stable. I typically only need to change the lash if I've had to re-shim the solid rocker shafts. Once or twice a year.

Max