Old April 19th 05, 05:58 PM
Brent P

In article >, Spike wrote:
> I still do not see where, with evidence that many users of the
> Autobahn violate lane discipline every day (and that's according to
> the Autobahn enforcement and management divisions),

I didn't argue they violated it, I argue they follow it far more than US
drivers. And they do so without much in the way of enforcement. There is
very sparse enforcement on the autobahn, and when there is, they go after
things like tailgating, as that is the major problem there last I heard.
If we only had it so good.

> you expect to get
> everyone to fall in line like good little soldiers and stick to this
> practice.

I expect drivers to show real courtesy to other road users.

If I were to adopt your principles, I would ride my cannondale (that's a
bicycle) in the center of the left lane of a 40+mph arterial. (I'm a
pretty fast rider too, but I am not 40mph fast)

> You can't do it there with strict enforcement, how do you
> expect to see compliance anywhere? But what do I know... I'm just a
> "revenue" cop with 20+ years experience. You have all the answers. Go
> fix it.

To use your arguement, above, all speed enforcement should stop as a
useless waste of time. But it doesn't.

How much time and effort is spent on speeding tickets?
How much time and effort is spent trying to catch criminals by stopping
vehicles hoping to find one? If you want enforcement, redirect the
resources to where they are most effective for road safety rather than
the government coffers.

However, unlike you, I don't believe in the enforcement model. I believe
that there should be training and have simple rules that make sense, with
things like speed limits set properly and sensibly. When an interstate
flows at 78 mph and the speed limit is 55mph, it encourages people to
use any lane they want any time they want at 63mph. If the speed limit
reflected the actual travel speeds, the lane discipline problem would be
greatly reduced immediately.

Also driver training in the USA is practically non-existant. People just
sort of decide on their own personal set of rules. This includes cops.