Old May 26th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Stupendous Man

Default Tow strap reminder

> Speaking of, this article covers the issue quite nicely.
> http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

I use a strap with two sewn loops and D-rings. I don't undertand why the
article admonishes against looping over the axle, sometimes it the only
thing strong enough to hook to.

About 1968 old we were on our annual Easter campout to Estero Beach, Mexico.
A whale had washed ashore and a lot of people were trying to push it back in
the water. It was obvious that wasn't going to happen, so they decided to
pull it out and eat it. Dad thought he would help and backed his 63
International Travelall up and then hooked his 7/16 logging chain around the
beasts tail. He started to pull with me in the back watching the fun, and
the whale didn't like that much. He flipped his tail and the chain parted.
The chain fortunately went up and over, leaving an impressive set of dents
from the back window to the front bumper, and not busting any glass. The
mxican cops then shot the whale a few dozen times and really ****ed it off.
Later that day they got a dozer to pull it out of the tideline and butchered
it. Quite an education for a boy.

--
Stupendous Man,