Old July 12th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default how does the map get into the radio?

In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:31:34 -0400, "Percival P.
Cassidy" > wrote:

>On 07/11/2018 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>
>>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>>
>>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>>

>> Get the radio without it.
>>
>> I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>> have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>> transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>>
>> As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>> free.

>WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it:
>Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the
>result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no
>intersection or ramp,

I think you were taking those words as traffic instructions, when they
were actually political. Garmin was taken over by a commie pink
consortium.

and was showing us driving in the middle of a
>cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.

And by the anti-farm lobby.

>Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the
>phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.

They have 10 apps. The first one just gave me directions to Bratislava.
Which one do you use?