Old July 12th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default how does the map get into the radio?

On 07/11/2018 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>
>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>

> Get the radio without it.
>
> I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
> have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
> transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>
> As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
> free.

WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it:
Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the
result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no
intersection or ramp, and was showing us driving in the middle of a
cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.

Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the
phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.

Perce