Old April 25th 13, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Default keys - waterproof ?

ps56k wrote:
> Our son has kidnapped our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
> to take on his whitewater kayaking trips...
>
> In his web surfing, he found something that implied
> that the keys with the RFID chips inside the molded plastic part
> could be compromised by immersion in water...
> This is just the KEY, not the remote key fob.
>
> He wants to take the key with him, attached on his life vest.
> It appears these 2001 vintage keys have a chip inside the molded
> plastic, and the car needs to see it to start AND run... but no big
> deal for just the door.
>
> So - he had a plain key cut,
> and says it's enough to open the car door,
> and get the other key stashed inside.
>
> Any info ??

Kind of doubt that, but who knows and why not be safe. I use
a metal key for similar situations. Just tuck the alarm fob
inside and deal with the beeping while I dig out the hidden key.

You could put the key in a water tight container (along with
any other things he doesn't want to get wet).

http://bit.ly/10C2LLD or similar.
Whole lot of different types, I have one for ID/DL/Cards and one
tube for mostly cash when at the beach.

--
DougW