Old February 14th 18, 04:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Clare Snyder

Default Vibration at 50 to 60 mph coasting in neutral after rear brake shoes

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:12:46 -0800, ultred ragnusen

>> On some it does - but then you need to manually adjust the handbrake
>> (e-brake) linkage AFTER the shoes have adjusted - and this
>> meansbacking off the e-brake adjustment first.

>Thank you for helping me understand what went wrong where I realize it's
>hard for you to help given the little information I know about it.
>
>On this vehicle, braking in referse does not adjust the rear brakes.
>The continual adjustment of the rear brakes is only by the parking brake.
>
>> Youstill have not said what vehicle this is - and sincethere areSO
>> MANY differentsetups for brakes, this is important information.

>It's a 2002 Toyota Tacoma.

Look at http://www.tacomahq.com/wp-content/u...drum_brake.gif

Note ther pin at the top. If the adjuster at the bottomis not
adjusted long enough and the handbrake cable is too tight, the cable
will hold the shoes out close tothe drum, giving a good pedal but the
ends of the shoes are not in contact with the pin. One might br, or
the other, but not both.

When the adjuster is properly adjusted and the cable is NOT too tight,
both ends are against the pin untill the cyl expands, causing the
leading shoe to contact the drum, and the friction of the liniung
against the drum caused the shoe to rotate with the drum, carrying
through the adjuster, and firmly wedging the rear shoe into the drum.

>Mainly I ass-u-med that the parking brake would adjust the brake shoes,
>since that's what it does every day.

If the cable is too short it cannot adjust the shoes out far enough
because the cable "false adjusts" the shoes.
>What I mostly want to understand is WHY the parking brake adjustment didn't
>work.

The cable was too tight

>My main assumption was that the parking brake adjustment is the same as the
>manual star adjustment.

It is

>If that's correct, then I don't see how the parking brake adjustment is any
>different than twisting the star adjuster, but it apparently is (somehow).

The cable was too tight

>That's my main confusion which I hope someone can help me better
>understand.

I hope this helps

And the automatic adkusters on a Taco are actuated by firmly applying
the brakes in reverse. With the ebrake cables loose.