Old July 19th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Junk/salvage question

On 19 Jul 2017 09:18:52 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Michael > wrote:
>>The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.

>It's likely the other way around, that it went through an insurance auction
>because it was declared unrepairable.

In general, there's no such thing as an "unrepairable" car.

>>Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?

>How much is it, and is it an interesting car? I bought a car with a salvage
>title for $50, put in a week or so of work and 300,000 miles later I was still
>driving it.

That sounds like BS, a salvage yard alone would pay more for a car
that was able to be repaired in a week and lasted 300k miles,
particularly if it had an operational drive train.

>I eventually got rid of it because I could no longer get the
>most common parts anymore.
>
>Just because it was declared junk doesn't mean it's not repairable, but it
>does make me want to very, very carefully inspect the repair job.
>--scott

You said you did the repair. If it had been repaired before you
acquired it, it wouldn't have been salvage.

Ignoring the contradictions, when the misnomer unrepairable is used,
it only means the commercial cost of repair exceeds the item's book
value.
--
It's difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.