Old March 6th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rich

Default 93 Ford Explorer Stalls While Driving

On Mar 4, 9:59 am, "Mike" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a 1993FordExplorerwith a 4.0 L that started stalling while
> > driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the
> > key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart
> > it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is
> > never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one
> > time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice
> > within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it
> > would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was
> > turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to
> > restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The
> > problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely
> > low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter
> > replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC
> > relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The
> > service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in
> > the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to
> > drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution
> > are greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Rich

> Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?- Hide quoted text -

The shop tested the fuel pressure during one of its visits and said it
was okay. It is so random it might have been fine during that test.
I would like to put a fuel pressure gauge on on it so I can monitor it
while driving but havn't figured out what to purchase and where to
install it. I know it probably goes on the fuel rail or maybe I need
to install a tee fitting to make it work.