Old April 9th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

Default 93 Ford Explorer Stalls While Driving

wrote: ( 1993 Ford Explorer 4.0 L )

It began started stalling while driving about six months ago. It shuts
off like someone turned the key. Originally you could push in the clutch
and immediately restart it. It used to happen once daily, most recently
twice a day. It now takes about 10 minutes each time to restart.
Shutdown is random and there is nothing common between occurrences.

I had the fuel filter, plugs & wires, fuel pump relay, and EEC relay replaced,
the IAC valve inspected, and the MAF sensor cleaned. The mechanic
said there is no error code. The vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition.

The condition is typical of an intermittently failing ignition module. The
failure doesn't set any code, and it is difficult to detect because it will
bench test good. If you leave it in the tester long enough to heat up,
the failure sometimes appears. Then if you disconnect it and it cools
down a little it will test good again.

When I experience this kind of failure I throw a $35 ignition module at it.
That usually does the job. If not, I take it to a profe$$ional mechanic.

Good luck.

Rodan.