Old February 20th 18, 08:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

>> What are you objecting to?* The ability to pay £10 to get a puncture
>> fixed?* Do you live in the Aussie outback or something?
>>

> I really don't to experience the number of punctures being talked about
> here. 1 in 20 years is quite enough.

With respect to repairing punctures, the relevant part of the conversation
is HOW to properly repair them.

There is only one proper way, which is to remove the carcass off the wheel,
simply because the only way to know if there's damage to the inside is to
look.

If you've ever seen the handfuls of fluffy black shavings that indicate a
tire was driven on while very low in pressure, you'll know what I'm talking
about, since a tire can easily have the belts visible inside, will look
perfectly fine from the outside.

Luckily it's easy to dismount, remount, and statically balance (and
dynamically test) a tire yourself, where it takes about the same amount of
time as it takes a tire shop to do, only you don't have to drive to the
tire shop on the flat tire (or mount the spare), and you get the
satisfaction both of doing it yourself, and knowing you did it right.