Old November 28th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_3_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:40 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>iRacing has messed with my definition of "far too expensive" so I am tempted by the
>idea of buying a PS3 just for GT5 and another Ring experience (among many others).
>So far I've seen quite a lot of comments but there's a really confusing mixture of
>"it suxs" and "it feels great!"
>
>There do seem to be some people finding the driving experience and FFB with a G25
>quite satisfying (in some of the cars anyway), which is intriguing. But as there's
>no other reason for me to buy a PS3 I really need some sense slapping into me.
>
>Feel free to slap away. :-)
>
>Andrew McP

The people saying its great are speaking from lack of experience.
There simply are no simulators for consoles, so GT5 for the PS3 and
Forza for the XBox appear great by default. If your typical driving
experience was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise, you'd
think GT5 was a realistic simulator, too.

I'll be honest and admit that I haven't played the current version,
but I do have a PS3 and spent a few hours careening off walls and
other cars to victory in GT5 Prolouge.

I'm also going to wind up with it because I named it as Christmas
present idea to my wife when I was drawing a blank, but I'm sure even
with the improvements since Prologue its going to feel like a totally
generic/sanitized experience after rFactor and Live For Speed.

If you can enjoy the PS3 for other games and the Blu Ray player, its
not a horrible thing, but if you're going to spend all that for what
you think is a great simulator I expect you're going to be pretty
disappointed.