Old November 17th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

Default How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

"John" wrote in message ...

>Just for interest went and dragged out all my manuals. Clymer manages to
>avoid all photos of a connected carby.
> "Scientific Publications" published Service Manuals in Australia for
> all car brands. Were a bit rudimentary. For the early T3 carbs (
> centrally located) there was definitely no clamps. For all twin
> carburetted T3,s there is definitely clamps on all fuel connections. The
> crimp type that leaves a small non crimped region!.

crimp clamps(band clamps) were used...they are crimped on and a one time use
deal... which is likely why so many were not replaced... any tight fitting
line with low pressure will stay put as long as the lines are within their
serviceable lifespan, however, most folks do not replace lines as they
should, and don't know when those lines are beyond their serviceable
lifespan... therefor, vw saw fit to ensure they stayed put... but one time
use clamps can't be replaced, so they got left off *a lot* and a great urban
myth was formed!

> For Beetles was a bit indistinct but almost certainly not! You could
> argue though that if that was the engine they stripped down to do the
> manual it might be all just sitting together and not functional.
> Cheers
> John

take a look at actual vw owner's manuals... some of them have picture angles
toward the engine(usually when discussing the V-belt) and the clamps are
visible.... out of curiosity, I opened up my Bentley manual for 66-69 type
one sedan and coupe, and in the section for fuel pump replacement (Chapter
3, Page 8, section 2.1 under the "to install" section) step 5 says "connect
fuel hoses and secure with clips or clamps"... the next step is also widely
disregarded "6. check seating of fuel line rubber grommet in engine front
cover plate.".....
in the fuel system section, chapter 3 also, under the section on removal and
installation of the carburetor, on install they clearly dedicate step 3 to
"secure fuel hose with clamp"....
that said, the Bentley is touted as the "official service manual", but is
still a third party.... vw's own owner's manuals have some shots where the
clamps are visible...
here are a couple links to manuals available for viewing at www.thesamba.com
where the clamps are visible... I chose 1969 only because I have a 69
owner's manual here at my desk.
this picture(left picture) shows that there are clamps on both the input and
output side(tougher to see it on the output side) of the fuel pump(also
shows that vw never put those silly filters in to flop around and pull out
the tube nipples pressed into the carb and fuel pump)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/...8_69bug/40.jpg

this one shows a clamp clearly on the output side.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/.../8_69bug/6.jpg

I'm sure other year manuals show them too, as I've scanned pictures out of
manuals several times over the years for posting for folks to see... as I
said, I chose 1969 only because I have a manual sitting here, and that made
it easy...<G>