Old November 22nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

CWLee > wrote:

>First, I don't think the diameter of the gas pump
>nozzle or the gas can nozzle is the issue - the problem
>I'm concerned about is the length. The Ford website I
>consulted implied that the gas pump nozzle goes
>sufficiently far/deep into the filler tube to
>engage/open the inner valve - and that ordinary gas can
>nozzles or funnels are not long enough to allow gas to
>flow.

The ones I have here (from Ace Hardware) have flexible nozzles about
nine inches long. The long nozzle is required to open the "gate" on
all modern gas fillers anyway.

If yours does not have a long enough nozzle, cut a foot of garden hose
and clamp it on.

>Second, I'm mostly interested in hearing from people
>who have actually added gas from other than a gas pump
>into a recent model Ford that has one of these new
>devices. Speculation is interesting, but I'd really
>like to hear about some first-hand experience.

I haven't yet, but ask me after the Potomac Celtic Festival, when my
crew will have serviced a couple dozen people who will run out gas on
site (and at least twice that many who will have dead batteries and
need jump starts).
--scott