Old October 28th 04, 08:49 PM
MarkK

"redTed" > wrote in message

> Thanks very much for the insight.
> As my car is a 2001 model, it seems strange that this "variator" is

faulty.
> Perhaps I should look deeper into the cars service history.
> Also, I'm pretty certain that the service manager told me that failure of
> this part would cause serious damage. Could I hold this against them when

> go to pay up ?

I'm pretty sure I've read in this group that a variator costs about 75 UKP
plus a small amount of additional labour if you're already having the timing
belt, tensioner and pulley done. BTW, make sure you get all these bits done,
as it's often the latter components that fail and take out the belt.

Lots of stuff about variators on google groups:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L138264A9

I would guess a total bill of 7-800 UKP would be expected from a main dealer
for this work plus a major service.

HTH

Mark