Old July 10th 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_6_]

Default Low engine oil pressure when turning left!?!?!

6317782 wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Got a strangle problem that I can't seem to figure out.
>
> 1997 TJ Sahara, 4.0L I6.
>
> Got the engine rebuilt recently, and the mech screwed it up. It's
> burning oil from somewhere, but I don't know where.
>
> All spark plugs seem clean(ish).
>
> After around 2000 miles, there's only around 3 qts of oil instead of
> 6.
>
> But here's the confusing part:
>
> Even with around 5qts in the engine, every time I turn left, the oil
> pressure drops to zero. I dropped the oil pan. The oil pickup is on
> the right side. If anything, there should be MORE oil on the right,
> when I turn to the left.
>
> Any ideas?

Faulty oil pressure sender wold be my first thought.
They also leak when they fail. Usually all over the
starter.

Check by where the filter is, there is a sensor screwed
in there. It has one wire. Normally there is a rubber plug
that seals the connector. If it's popped out, that's where
your oil is slowly leaking from.

It will look like this.
http://revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/sensor-oil-pressure.jpg

If it is, make sure you get the correct part. One is a switch
(for an idiot light) and the other is a pressure sender (for
the gauge).

--
DougW