Old August 23rd 05, 10:55 PM
John S.

Pete C. wrote:
> "Daniel J. Stern" wrote:
> >
> > They're still in business because nobody *ever* lost money marketing to
> > ignorant idiots and gullible fools. Since there are so many of both, it's
> > a large market. Since logic and science haven't been effectively taught in
> > the US for several decades now, it's also a growth market.

> Two absolutely true educational horrors from a friend of mine who is a
> technology teacher currently at a "magnet" school for talented / gifted
> students.
>
> Horror #1: One student had absolutely no idea how to use a ruler. This
> was a teenager too, not a 5yr old.

That is apalling - his parents should have taught that basic household
skill.

> Horror #2: A group of students in an intro robotics class was given a
> socket wrench set to use in the assembly of components. Not a single
> student in the group knew how to use a socket wrench.

Not surprising given the way that shop and other trade related courses
are taught in classrooms away from the main high school campus for
potential dropouts and other problem students. Most kids are actively
discouraged from shop classes when many of those skills would be very
useful in daily life. Not to mention a career.

Much as I hate to start a discussion like this, when I was in high
school, boys were encouraged to take some shop classes even if they
were college bound. I'm proud to say I took at least one semester of
every shop class and went a lot further in auto and machine shop. It
meant some summer school, but it was worth it imho.

> With "talented and gifted" students like that the future of this country
> is very bleak...

Someone is gonna pick up those jobs, but I really dislike the
condescending attitude of many teachers and school administrators
towards trade related schooling. A good automotive tech is highly
skilled and trained person these days.