Old July 3rd 14, 04:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

On 7/2/2014 12:18 PM, RayDec wrote:
> replying to Smarty , RayDec wrote:
>> nobody wrote:
>>
>> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
>> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
>> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has
>> been disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to
>> the battery. The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in
>> the trunk, and not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge. My
>> question: Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or
>> another auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or
>> do I have to get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then
>> connect directly across the battery as I have previously done for the
>> last 15 years on my C5 and C6? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

> My C7 came with the Battery Protection Package which included a GM
> Trickle
> Charger (PART # 22969090). In the trunk area where the battery is
> located,
> there's a cigarette lighter port which the charger connects to.
> No need
> to get to the actual battery. Just plug into the lighter port and an
> electrical outlet at the other end. I haven't used it yet but I
> assume
> you have to leave the trunk lid opened. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ray. Yes, as my reply from 1/11/14 in this thread did reflect:

"For whatever it is worth, BTW, the CTEK charging through the trunk
auxiliary port is working out great. Very nice way to keep it charged.
The only very minor problem is to be sure the trunk lid is down far
enough to prevent the interior trunk lamps from illuminating / drawing
power, while at the same time not applying a lot of crushing force on
the CTEK cable which is coming out of the trunk to the charger. "

I hope you are enjoying your C7 as much as I am enjoying mine. GM hit a
real home run with this one!