Old November 1st 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default NOW: Improving Power......WAS: Got the ignition coil recall notice ...

Your setup makes me smile too HTH! <g>

Yeah I dream a lot about boosting the power on my '83 GTi engine ('83 Audi
4000s), so I like to hear what others have done to their VW based engines.
I thought about the Corrado engine and installing it complete or the
Supercharger setup.
Some Audi 4000 cars had the 5 cylinder engines and some 5 cylinder engines
had turbos. SOOO a lot of possibilities are out there for me depending on
the amount of work I care to do. ;-)
I do have the 1.8t in my '97 Audi A4 and it has very nice power, but it
makes me desire more out of my old 4000s. <g>

So in your case did you upgrade to the VR6 components, Brakes/Suspension
etc. to make your '99 more balanced but stock? I like "bolt-on" stock
components that are readily and inexpensively obtained.

thanks for the receipe since this will probably always be a dream for me!
;-)
later,
One out of many daves

"JettaPZ" > wrote in message
On Oct 30, 7:19 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Which Supercharger did you go with on the '99?
> I am still running my '83 GTi engine but I want a little more pep OR a lot
> more pep. <g>

> <snip>

Hey Dave,

After doing most of the other stuff to the '99 2.0L, (exhaust, chip,
brakes, suspension) I opted for the NS supercharger. Took a while to
get it all dialed in;
not that it ran bad, just after some fine tuning, it is very happy.
Went with the 2.6'' pulley and the TT cam that is the equivalent of
the one in the Corrado.
What amazed me was the highway MPG went up after the blower went on.
All I could figure is the flow, even w/o boost, was better. One issue
I did run into was some pinging
even on 93 octane in hot conditions. Took a crack at it with the
evoheatshield phenolic spacers on the intake - pinging gone for good.
Had to fabricate a new LH top mount for the
blower, but was it worth it! You have to listen real close to tell it
has a blower at idle, but open the throttle and there is a very
satisfying whine. She'll eat a 4.6L mustang for lunch
most any day - have shutdown a few of those. You should see the look
on their faces when a stock looking VW comes screaming out of the hole
and zips right by 'em.

The blower isn't for everyone; a turbo has it's own benefits and lower
cost. But the blower gives instantaneous grunt, even at low rpm. While
I love wringing it out
getting on a interstate - 85 in third, 105 in fourth easy, and when
she gets the bit in her mouth in fifth, she just motors her way around
most everything; the ability to
just stomp on the throttle in 5th and GO! always makes me smile.

If you go for it, might I suggest bigger sway bars, sport springs and
struts, braided brake lines with great pads, and slotted/drilled
rotors? Going fast requires better handling,
and the ability to stop quick too.

HTH