Old February 4th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

Default squealing speedo question...

"jd-drafter@home" > wrote in message
> hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,
>
> planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...
>
> as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud
> squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...
>
> i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt
> for a vw master mechanic.
>
> (bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has
> stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)
>
> but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering
> has left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)
>
> do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong
> yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?
>
> thanks a bunch-
>
> jd-drafter

you can try to spray some lube in through the cable connection....or you can
remove it and disassemble it and clean all the old crusty grease out and
then regrease it....i did the latter...worked great....
here are a few pictures of a 68(one year only) speedo....(posted this for
someone that wanted to know how to change the "gels" in the speedo...but you
can see what is going on...if you need anymore detailed pics of the inner
workings let me know, i have two other 68 speedos disassembled now....the
wife would love to see them gone off the counter)
http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/speedo.html