Old July 30th 18, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 30 Jul 2018 07:32:12 GMT, Xeno wrote:

> Definitely! That tyre shows distinct sidewall degradation that didn't
> happen overnight or in a week.

That's interesting because I work on this care (but not on that tire) and I
have always advised her (it's a college kid who lives away at college) to
keep it at 40 psi so ever since she bought it (a year ago) it was at 40psi.

Here's the only other photo she sent me, this on in situ, on the roadside:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6543956tireoncar.jpg>

> Or that it had been run underinflated for months prior to being
> correctly inflated the week prior thereby prematurely weakening the
> sidewalls and setting it up for failure.

I know this car well as this kid is a neighbor's kid who has gone away to
school, and I repaired three of her five tires (the pictures are in this
newsgroup, where the last one was only about a month ago).

I can't speak for the history before a year ago, as that's when she bought
it (I helped her buy it too, where it's the third or fourth owner).

In the past year, I've patchplugged three of her five tires, the last one
only about a month or so ago (let me dig up the thread so I can give you
the exact date). For now, assume a month.

At that time, all five tires were at 40 psi because I'm meticulous that
way, and because this is a college kid who doesn't think about such things.
I know for a fact exactly which tires they are because I rotated them at
that time and worried about the fact that the front two and the spare were
the ones which each had one patch plug from me.

The rear two didn't have anything and didn't need anything, and the tread
was fantastic and they were holding air pressure or I would have noticed
that they weren't (since I look at her tires every once in a while - and no
- I didn't mount these except the ones I repaired).

So for them to be *underinflated* had to happen more than a year ago.

I picked out every bit of debris in each of her tires when I rotated them
(I always do where I have a pick in my tire repair kit) but I didn't
closely inspect the sidewall other than that it didn't show anything
obvious to me.