Old June 5th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default 1994 VW Jetta III 2.0 auto cranks and won't start

REPLIES WITHIN

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> two weeks ago, on my way from from work, my jetta was losing coolant
> due to broken hose, got overheated and stalled right after i had
> parked it. now it will crank but won't start.

Where was this broken hose?
How could you tell there was no sign of a blown head gasket?

> i first checked oil and coolant and there's no sign of blew head
> gasket, checked all the fuses and replaced distributor cap & rotor and
> spark plugs. the spark plugs wires have good continuity. i also
> checked the timing belt and it's is in good condition and has correct
> timing.
>
> still no go

Possibly:
Ign switch
Ign coil
Engine Speed Sensor
Faulty main engine wiring harness plug or connections wet.

> all the relays are clicking when ignition key is switched to on. the
> ignition coil has primary resistance of 0.6 Ohm and secondary
> resistance of 3400 Ohm and 12V output with the ignition key on.
> according to haynes manual, they are within specs.

Bentley manual would be more informative. ;-)
Try to start engine using a remote starter and leave the ign switched on.
MAKE SURE IT IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!!

> a strong smell of gas is present in the cabin when engine is cranking,
> but spark plugs are dried and there's no sparks at the distributor.

Hmmm you smell gas but the plugs are not wet? That smell has to come from
somewhere. Maybe you have a fuel leak......but you should still get a
spark. This sounds like another problem that should be addressed.

> and i noticed that the shift indicator in the dash board won't change
> accordingly to the gear shift. and the string that looks like "1n 02"
> is flashing in place of the odometer when the key turned to ON.

Dash Gear Shift Indicator is not functioning??? I would examine any
electrical plugs on the auto trans and engine that might have had a shower
of coolant!

"1n 02" is Normal....after so many miles those service indicators will come
on and need to be reset after servicing. ;-)

--
later,
dave