Old January 1st 05, 04:54 PM
Tim Rogers

"Tim murphy" > wrote in message

> That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
> I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.

.................If the Irish use the UK's larger Imperial gallon instead of
the American gallon, it would help to explain this discrepancy. The other
difference that comes to mind is that Americans drive at higher speeds on
better roads than most of Europe. The Autobahn in Germany is only comparable
to a minor branch of the interstatae highway system throughout North
America. Another aspect of driving style that comes into play is that
accelerating with more throttle than is necessary can make a huge difference
in gas mileage. I'd say that any stock bug no matter the year ought to get
approximately 30 miles to the American gallon in a mixed setting of city &
open road conditions if driven without a lead foot.