Old July 24th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Default 88 jetta

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:13:26 -0400, (lynn lascu)
wrote:

>Hello to all who have responded to my brake problem on the 88 jetta. I
>have put two different masters on the car and the problem still goes on.
>I have replaced the calipers twice. Everthing has been bought and
>returned for new parts again. I've noticed that my oil light and buzzer
>comes on also and it seems that when this happens the brakes start their
>problem. This has been going on for two months now and its driving me
>nuts. All I did was replace the master and all this started happing.
>I've put all new parts and they came with life time warranties. Could
>the booster cause this problem? I've dropped the oil pan and checked the
>pump to make sure that it was good, but the oil light still comes on and
>the buzzer to. I did put dot fluid in master as called for. Ever part
>put on has been replaced twice already and still the same problem exist.
>I work on all of my cars and this one I just can't figure out. HELP
>AGAIN PLEASE.

You have not explained how you release the right front brake.

There are many DOT brake fluids. Some are compatible. Some are not.
Specify brand and specific brake fluid. Some brands can carry 3
different version of DOT approved brake fluid.

Booster is unlikely to be an issue. Someone could have crimped metal
brake lines. What does your friend see when he does a visual
inspection of the right front brake line from the master cylinder all
the way to the caliper? is the brake line spotless, I mean has all the
grunge and dirt been washed clean so a proper inspection can be done?

When you use your pressure brake bleeder does the fluid flow out at
the same rate on all four corners? You can test by pumping up your
bleeder tank to 10 psi. Open a bleed screw 1/4 turn and measure in
seconds how long it takes for 2 ounces to flow in to your catch
bottle. Make sure you start at the same pressure on the pressure
bleeder tank. Of course 1/4 turn allows for some vagueness but it
should help record flow rates to see if there is significant flow
problems. Measure all 4 corners and report results.

What weight of engine oil do you use?

How do you check an oil pump? I know how I do but that is not
relevant.

What does the oil pressure gauge indicate?