Old July 21st 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

Default 98 VW Bug Hi Me Again ... HELP New Problem

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. net...
> NOT THE TRANS........since I don't think it throws an Engine Check Light.

Not sure if the trans throws a CEL or not but these symptoms (water causing
sputtering) is definitely a misfire due to an ignition component getting
wet.

The CEL is normal for this...any OBD2 car (1996+) will throw a CEL if it
detects a misfire. You can get the code read and see if it tells you
anything although it might just tell you what we already know (misfire
detected) although I think it might indicate which cylinder which would help
a little bit.

BTW...just curious...what was wrong w/the transmission?