Old April 17th 05, 04:33 PM
Tim Rogers

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message

> You can get tanks that fit in place of the spare wheel, but I guess
> that would only be suitable for the 1302/1303 Super Beetles. Plus I
> would not like to think what would happen in a serious front-end
> accident.

..............A ruptured tank of gasoline is as potentially lethal to a
vehicle's occupant as any other type of fuel. Maybe even more so. Because a
gasoline tank has air which contains oxygen displacing the fuel inside the
tank, it has the capacity to go off like bomb. LP and CNG tanks don't have
any air inside them as they are filled in a way that completely displaces
the air that's needed to support combustion. Gasoline fires are very hot and
can't be approached by anyone who isn't protected by a complete firefighting
suit that includes a respirator. Ask any firefighter who has tried to rescue
someone in burning car where the tank is or is possibly about to ignite
after rupturing in an accident.