Old November 15th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

Default How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

On 11/14/2010 3:03 AM, John wrote:
> When I was looking for my present T3 about 20 years ago I was surprised by
> how many cars I looked at did not use clamps on the fuel line. Not even on
> the fuel pump right next to distributor!. This was after having been hassled
> by some Govt inspector for my beetle annual inspection for having a couple
> of rust spots on the headlight reflector. Idiot had his priorities
> right!!!. My reliable supplier of parts though will only supply OEM cloth
> covered hose. He seems to recall VW never used clamps with OEM hose. Dunno
> about that.
> Keeping on topic though I have had the OEM hose he supplied me with
> about 7-8 years ago and it is still supple, no evidence of seepage. For
> things like fuel hoses, brake lines I try to go OEM or at least German.
> Cost a bit more but lasts a darn sight longer.
> John

The factory did not use clamps in the fuel lines. They used the
proper 5.5mm fuel lines. A diameter that is no longer available, and the
closest one being 6mm, fits too loose. So.... clamp them. And not with
those "garden hose" type clamps, but proper fuel line clamps that leave
no gaps.