Old August 25th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

Default TJ not returning to center after turn

I wasn't very clear earlier.

When you have sufficient negative caster, the weight of the vehicle settles
into the steering geometry and literally forces the front tires to be
straight ahead. If you've ever ridden a chopper, you probably noticed that
the steering was very heavy to get off of center, this is because of the
very steep Caster Angle that is a natural part of a chopper. Choppers go
straight very easily, but it can be a chore to make them turn.

When your Jeep has sufficient Caster Angle, the tires will prefer to be
pointed straight ahead. If your Caster angle is almost right, you might
notice that the wheel will spin almost by itself from a full lock turn back
to center, or within about a 1/4 to 1/8th turn from center. It is not
unusual that the steering will have a bit of slop on either side of center
where you have to provide the input, but outside of the slop range, the
wheel should return to the slop range pretty much by itself. The test I like
is to mimic backing out of a parking space and turning the wheel nearly full
lock -- the wheel should move towards the center when you go forward, and
should require little more than a flick of the wrist if it needs that much.
A U-turn should be self-centering too.

I think you need to visit an alignment shop to have the caster angle
adjusted more negative. There is a specifrication for this setting, and you
are likely at the end closer to zero, but you need to be at the end closer
to the max. range. Since they have to check it, you may as well have them
physically make the change to the max setting.

If the range is -0.1 to -0.7, then you are currently closer to -0.1, but
want to be closer to -0.7. I don't know what the spec is, I just know you
are not at the preferred setting.