Old July 19th 15, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Slimer

Default The last straw

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 17:33:53 -0400, Budd Cochran > wrote:

> Aw ... now that's real helpful. Gee, thanks ...
>
> And, fyi, my XJ does run ... just not well and there are people in my
> area
> with more money than sense that will buy junk Jeeps, F4's, etc. to build
> rock crawlers to take to Moab UT to destroy them or themselves.
>
> If I could swap a carbed 258 with Torq-Command (AMC version of the
> famously
> durable Mopar Torq-Flite) I'd keep the beastie and get better fuel
> economy
> and off-road performance to boot.
>
> As for yours ... did you ever lubed the joints?
>
> Back when they (the EPA) first thought the average shadetree wrench
> twister
> didn't know nuttin', they put plugs in the joints instead of zerks but we
> removed them and put the zerks in and the joints could go 100,000 miles.
>
> Hey, ya wanna swap even? but only if yours, like mine, is paid for.

The joints can't be lubed apparently. I don't work on cars myself but
these joints are such garbage that people tend to replace them at about
30,000 miles which is clearly a lot sooner than most cars. I fixed two of
them at the dealer (and they put in the same kind of part as the original)
but replaced a third with a superior part from what seems to be Moog (now
sold as the Nascar brand apparently, at least here in Canada). That part
has a lifetime warranty whereas what Jeep puts in doesn't have a warranty
any longer than a year. You can be sure that when these ball joints break
again, I won't be going to Jeep to get them fixed. Also, the superior
parts _CAN_ be lubed unlike Jeep's.

But yeah, the car's paid-for... but even if I wanted to swap for a much
older Jeep, I doubt you're anywhere near Montreal.

--
Slimer

Linux imbecile Peter "der Klöwn" Köhlmann
<https://plus.google.com/109168722444410572286> makes statement about
Youtube comments <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/block-youtube-comments>
in what has proven to be the dumbest statement in the history of USENET.
Further proof that Linux causes the brain to prematurely rot.