Old July 19th 15, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default The last straw

On 7/18/2015 4:57 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> Funny you should ask ... I are one (small engines to heavy equipment,
>> including diesels), but I've not been able to keep up with these
>> computerized injection systems due to working other jobs and because I
>> didn't go to one of the diploma mills like WyoTech (my middle son went to Wyo
>> @ Laramie and was constantly calling home to learn how to do things his
>> "instructor" couldn't do)... and I am 68 years old, you see.
>>
>> Oh, and being on fixed income I can't afford the $100+ /hour diagnostic fees
>> IF they have the right scanner (currently $1500+ US to buy if they can find
>> one) for an OBD1 (no retained codes) system.
>>
>> The symptoms, if it a carbureted engine, are like gasoline contaminated with
>> water but the first thing I did was put in two cans of HEET (alcohol) at a
>> fill up from a trusted station (where I've got my gas for years) so water
>> isn't likely and a settling test (a small amount pumped into a glass
>> container by the fuel pump and set aside for an hour) shows no water or
>> foriegn material.

> Have you managed to find out what isn't working, specifically?

Well, obviously not if I'm wanting to sell it and if you had read my
posts more carefully you wouldn't have asked because it would also have
been obvious that I would have fixed/replaced the defective item.

It's a bit hard to be in two places at once, ya know.

For example: I can't be watching the tach for an RPM drop while also
reading a voltmeter connected to the ignition module (my wife is not
mechanically inclined along with being on O2 24/7 and I do not have any
available help in my neighborhood).

Or reading a fuel pressure tester (as if I have one!) when checking RPM
drops on the tach.

Get the idea????

Now. I would appreciate it if everyone would engage brain before asking
more questions of this type.

You want more info? Read previous postings about the 89 XtremeJunker by
me ... it's all there.

As for what is not working "specifically", how about "the whole
dangblasted Renix system"?

Budd

---